Saturday, April 25, 2020

Gathering Sorrows

I have a birthday in a couple of weeks. On one hand, it's not a "big" one, but simply marks another trip around the sun for me. On the other hand, as the years have passed, I've noticed a few things changing in my body... and in my life.

I think, especially right now, most people of any age can understand one thing I've noted changing: I'm gathering sorrows. Five years ago, one of our sweet granddaughters died in a tragic accident. Less than two years ago, a dear friend was diagnosed with a stroke and then cancer. She passed away in a matter of months. And then this week, a colleague and friend ten years younger than I was diagnosed with a brain cancer. He passed away in a matter of days. The 8-year-old nephew of a family we are close to died last month. The brother of a friend lost his battle with COVID-19. The Navajo Nation is fighting a raging battle against that same disease just to the west of the Jicarilla Apache Nation, where we live.

Our family's day-to-day life is virtually the same as it was three months ago, but my heart is not. My heart hurts for the more-than-50,000 Americans who have died from COVID-19. My heart aches for the almost 200,000 worldwide who have perished. I am swept by grief when someone I know passes away.

I think older people often reach the point where they are gathering sorrows, but right now, it's all of us. I'm positive tears have come to many eyes as we've watched the death toll rise, as we've heard stories of medical professionals and essential workers dying much before what we expect as their natural time. This is communal grief. It is shared trauma.

And it hurts.

And again I turn to the Bible to find my peace, my sanity, God's grace.

Revelation 21:4 says, "He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”

This is not forever. This sorrow. This pain. This worldwide pandemic. It's not forever; God promises that the mourning, the crying, the pain will end. Our tears will be wiped away and death will be no more. This is hope. Hope shared by every Christian. Lean into it. Trust God for it.

Romans 8:28 tells us, "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose."

Yes, even this. Even. This. 

We do not know God's ways, but we do trust Him to use every experience for our good. When we touch heaven, we will understand everything we need to understand about the why? of this coronavirus pandemic. Until then, the Christian can leave it in God's hands and trust Him.

And in John 16:33b, Jesus says, "In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”

When Jesus spoke these words, He knew your trouble today. He knew the COVID-19 disease was coming. He knew. He understood. And He told you that He had overcome the world. He, our Lord and Savior, knew this was coming and told us to "take heart." This isn't the end. He is the end. His victory is the end. Not coronavirus. Jesus is victorious in every way: against sin; against pain; against sorrow. 

As Mercy Me says in this song, "We Win!" Love wins. Good wins. Jesus wins. 

So, Christian, stand and rejoice through the sorrows. Hold tight to His promises. Go ahead and cry because it hurts, but remember there is joy in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment