Wednesday, April 1, 2020

"I'm Happy."

This little boy with the braids will often say, out of the blue, "I'm happy!" Usually, after he blurts this, someone asks him, "What are you happy about?" And he answers.

"I'm happy that we have potatoes tonight."

"I'm happy that we live in a safe house."

"I'm happy because we are playing a game."

"I'm happy because..."

There's always something to be happy about. He's teaching me this in a new way. I know the teaching of the Bible: Rejoice in the Lord always, again, I say rejoice! (Philippians 4:4) I know my joy is in Jesus Christ. And I know the difference between earthly happiness and heavenly joy.

But...

Right now, I think the world could use a little of this boy's "I'm happy" attitude.

So, think about it: What are you happy about?

I'm happy that everyone in our household seems to be healthy.
I'm happy that my parents have groceries delivered.
I'm happy that my children are finding ways to be happy at home.
I'm super-happy that our teenager is genuinely motivated to stay quarantined.
I'm happy that my husband wears a mask when talking with people outside our household.
I'm happy that our cats entertain us all.
I'm happy that you can freeze milk.
I'm happy that we can still worship on Sunday mornings.
I'm happy that we have enough food to share when needed.
I'm happy that the stimulus money will help us pay our mortgage so our renters and we don't worry.
I'm happy that technology lets me stay social without the chance of spreading COVID-19.

I could go on, I know. There is much to be happy about.

I also know that there is much to worry about for each one of us. Worries about finances, loved ones, food, illness, our retirement accounts, etc. And I know what to do with those, too: Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7.

Proverbs 12:25 says,  "Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad." Let's follow our little guy's lead and look for things to be happy about. Share those thoughts! Be the "good word" that makes someone glad. In this troubled time, making someone glad is something to be treasured. 


No comments:

Post a Comment