Sunday, April 19, 2020

A Place of Security

We all long for a place of security. A safe spot.

Some of us are blessed enough to have been raised in a safe place with unconditional love.

Others of us are not so blessed and were faced with hunger, abuse, insecure housing, and more in our childhoods.

As adults, we often seek security in a relationship, a career, or even our own children. But security isn't found in these earthly things. Spouses die. Careers end. Children rebel.

And right now. Here. On the entire Earth. We are all looking for security in the midst of the COVID-19 crisis. Some are searching for safety from the virus, staying home to protect their vulnerable loved ones. Some are seeking safety for the broader society, staying home to prevent overwhelming the medical care systems. Others are looking for financial security, emphasizing the economy.

But security is not found here. On Earth.

Security is found with God. 

We will never find the security we so desperately yearn for without our Lord Jesus Christ. He is the way, the truth, and the life.

And the security we find in Him isn't transitory, partial, future, or difficult. The security we find in Jesus Christ is immediate, complete, permanent, and a joy in every way!

I used to be plagued by anxiety. It wasn't clinical anxiety; it was just general anxiety because I didn't trust myself enough to make good choices. I always felt like a heavy hammer was about to come down on me because I wasn't good enough.

When I turned back to Jesus as an adult, giving Him the control over my life, my anxiety disappeared. Seriously. I know it sounds crazy, but I can pinpoint the moment when my life became secure. It was the very moment that I finally gave control of my life to Jesus Christ. I said, "Not my way, God, but Yours."

From that moment till now, my life has had many ups-and-downs, many unexpected changes. But I have never doubted or questioned my path. I know God brought my family together. I know God brought us to this place for this time.

My security is not in my marriage, my friendships, my career, or my children. My security is in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Even now.

In the midst of a world-wide pandemic.

If you are experiencing fear or anxiety during this pandemic, 

Listen to one of these songs:

Safe by Phil Wickham
Safe by Neon Feather
We Won't Be Shaken by Building 429
Shoulders by King & Country

Read one of these passages in the Bible:

Psalm 16:8 I have set the LORD always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.
Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.
Psalm 61:3 For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the enemy.
John 16:33 I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.
Isaiah 26:3 You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.
Romans 15:13 May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.

Pray.

Call or message a Christian friend (me?!).

Ask for prayer.

Our only security is in our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. His security is here, now, and for always. 

No comments:

Post a Comment