Friday, May 1, 2020

Absent Civility

I get it. We disagree. On many things. On many things we care deeply about. But that doesn't excuse the hatred and disrespect I see on social media and on the news lately.

I don't have to agree with someone on everything to be their friend. On my social media accounts, I have everyone from my atheist college buddy to the conservative evangelical Christian friend I met recently through common Christian friends.

I enjoy reading things from different points-of-view. I deeply believe that I learn the most from people who do not think just like I do. I work hard to make sure I look at issues from more than one viewpoint. My mind and heart are awake and open to new thoughts and ideas.

Except...

Except that it seems like every single thing about the COVID-19 pandemic is being politicized!

Every. Single. Thing.

Why can't we just be civil?

Even if we disagree on how well President Trump has done in dealing with the pandemic, can't we all discuss what comes next without calling each other "Libtards" or "Morons"?

Even if we have differing ideas on when the economy opens back up, can't we all agree that we all want what's best for America and its citizens?

The answer to those questions seems to be, "No." And add insults to the "No" because...well...that's just what we do these days.

But how about this: We discuss ideas instead of blame. We debate just how to reopen the economy while protecting the most people and our health care systems. We speak to one another with respect, as someone whose ideas are worth at least hearing.

Civility seems to be entirely absent from discussion about COVID-19. Can we just be grown-ups and respect each other, even when we disagree?

Please?

No comments:

Post a Comment