Monday, September 2, 2013

Trust in Me

My husband, daughter, and I are at the beginning of a calling. My husband preached at his new church for the first time this morning. The Jicarilla Apache Reformed Church is a mission posting, serving the Jicarilla Apache people of Dulce, New Mexico.

Our family is new at everything here! We are new to the community, so we don't even know what day(s) the garbage gets picked up. We are new to the church, so we don't know how to find the coffee. We are new to the people, so we don't know their names. I guess we'll figure it out in time, but right now it seems somewhat overwhelming!

 A former student of mine, whom I am delighted to call my friend in her adulthood, posted this yesterday on her Facebook page: "The Bible never once says "Figure it out"...But time and time again 'Trust in me'." It really struck me when I read it, given the "figure it out" stage we're in in New Mexico.

God truly doesn't say, "Figure it out!" He always says, "Trust in me." Always. In all things. Proverbs 3:5 says, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding." And in Psalm 37:5 tells us to "Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him, and he will act."

I've always been a "figure it out" kind of gal... I'm learning to let go and trust in Him. With much prayer, I have able to let go and let God work in this move. I am grateful to my former student to have the reminder to also let go and let God work in the learning of our new place... We will "figure it out," but we don't have to lean on our own insufficient understanding; we have the Lord God, our rock and our salvation!

No comments:

Post a Comment