Friday, July 19, 2013

Home

We have lived in our "temporary" housing for over a year now. One month from today, we expect to be driving West with a loaded truck, an all-wheel drive vehicle, and a trailer filled with kayaks. Without really expecting it to, this place has turned into home. We've celebrated birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas, and two Easters here. It will be sad in some ways to leave this green, open, and forgiving space. We've had a lot of fun here.

I know I've said before that I've always sought a place to call home for the rest of my life. I've been such a vagabond, all my life long. It would be good to have deep roots in a place. Instead, I am moving from a temporary home to another temporary home: a parsonage. It is surrounded by beautiful Chinese Elms and it's large enough to serve our needs and then some.  Now, don't hear me wrong: We do not anticipate leaving Dulce, NM anytime soon! We're expecting to live in this parsonage for 10-15 years. But it will not belong to us. And that's okay.
I've really come to a new understanding of home lately. Home isn't the house in which I live. Home  isn't the house or the town in which I grew up. Home is with God. Home is that state in which I am restful in the knowledge that God provides for my every need, every step of the way. (Matthew 6:25-34) And truly, home is that place where Jesus sits at the right-hand of God, where every tear is wiped from every eye, where death has no foothold. (Revelation 21:4) So for now, I will let my roots grow deep into the Word of God, and I will rejoice in the work He is doing in me to prepare me for my eternal home. 

Then there will be no more moving for me. I will be home at long last.

No comments:

Post a Comment