Thursday, July 25, 2013

Exhausted.

I'm exhausted. Too tired to see straight. Running on fumes... Ever been there? 

Of course you have! We all have times in our lives when the circumstances lead us to expend more energy than we can comfortably use up. It can happen at work, at home, even on vacation. For me, it's a combination of trying to get ready to move, leading the VBS assemblies this week, and having beloved family as guests for the week.

We've been having a wonderful time at VBS and with our family guests! I wouldn't wish either away... and it's turned out to be amazing that they happened on the same week: Our wee one's cousins have been attending VBS with her. What a great thing to share!
 
I've also enjoyed the trips we've taken with our family guests. We've been to the zoo, the aquarium, and more! It's been great to spend time by the fire and the pool together. We are so blessed to have this time before we move so far away.

But still, I'm exhausted. Physically and mentally. Totally fried. I think if I went to bed right now, I'd sleep until tomorrow!

So, what do we DO when we get exhausted? How can I get through two more nights of VBS assemblies filled with shouting, singing, dancing, and excitement? How can I possibly have the energy to fulfill my role as enthusiastic leader?!

The Bible clearly tells us the answer.... over and over and over again. I searched my Bible app for the words "sustain," "refresh," and "strengthen," and I found so many instances of God sustaining, refreshing, and/or strengthening His people that I cannot possibly list them all! One of my favorites is Isaiah 41:10: "Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

Whoa. That's marvelous! Read it again: Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Let the enormity of that promise fill you for a moment. 

Not only can we dispense with fear, but also dismay! Never do we have to face the world alone or helpless! Even in my exhaustion, I can lean on Him and know (yes, know) that He will get me through. This isn't magical thinking, and He is not a "short-order" God, dispensing our wishes like a genie. This is the Truth, and I can trust that however He meets my prayer, that answer is the very best one, even if I can't see that at the time.

So in my exhaustion today, I will lean into Him for all things.

No comments:

Post a Comment