Saturday, August 11, 2018

Take My Breath Away

For Brad's birthday, our family went for a hike. We frequently hike in the San Juan Mountains, a southern part of the Rocky Mountains that is near us. It is a beautiful place.

It's easy to feel God's presence in the face of so much beauty. The Bible says that the heavens declare the glory of the Lord (Psalm 19:1).

His glory takes my breath away! 



Having  your breath taken away by beauty is a glorious thing. I'm glad God gives us beauty so deep that it takes our breath away.

This week, it has been pain that has taken my breath away. A dear, dear friend with whom I used to teach has been diagnosed with an inoperable malignant tumor. It's also resistant to chemotherapy, and it's quite advanced. My friend has opted to return home under hospice care for the remainder of her days. These days are likely to be so few that I will not get to see her on our travels to the Midwest in October.

And, oh! It takes my breath away to know that the world is losing her! She is a caring, supportive, and effective teacher. Her three children are young adults now, but my older daughter was good friends with their middle son. My friend and her husband were life-savers during the darkest days of my divorce. They are precious to me.

Also in this week, the community received the news that a tribal baby who lives in a nearby town with her mom, her siblings, and her mom's boyfriend is in critical condition. Her mom's boyfriend allegedly beat her badly in front of her five siblings, after smoking meth with the mother. The boyfriend and the mom are in jail, pending charges. The baby is in the NICU in Albuquerque. The siblings are in a children's shelter. And our community is reeling. The brutality and horror of the situation took our breath away!

It's more difficult to feel God's presence in the face of so much pain. But again, the Bible speaks to this. Psalm 38 is full of pain. The author groans "because of the tumult of [his] heart." His strength "fails [him]." Even in the midst of this pain, though, the Psalmist (verse 15) says, "But for you, O Lord, do I wait; it is you, O Lord my God, who will answer." 

Even in distress and pain, we turn toward God, and He answers. In 2 Corinthians 1:3-4, the Bible says, "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God."

We can depend on His comfort. And we, in turn, can share His comfort with others. I hold this closely as I think about my friend and her husband 1200 miles away. What can I do that would show them the love of God in this terrible situation?? And I ponder how our family can be the hands and feet of Jesus to the family torn apart by addiction and violence.  I don't know the answer, but I do know how to mail an encouraging card. I do know how to offer school supplies to the children who start school next week. I can reach out and let everyone involved in each situation know that we are praying for them. And I do know how to pray faithfully. I know that my prayers are meaningful and will be answered. That doesn't mean I think that everything I want will somehow come true. But I do trust that our powerful and merciful God will be present to those clinging to him through the pain. He will strengthen and encourage them. He will show them beauty that takes their breath away.

No comments:

Post a Comment