Sunday, July 22, 2018

True Security

I've recently discovered Kombucha, a fermented tea. It has few carbohydrates in it, and that fits my current eating habits... AND it tastes different than water or iced tea! After almost two years of drinking only water, iced tea, and milk, it's lovely to have a different taste! Anyway, this morning I was taking a sip from my kombucha drink in the fridge, and I started reading the label. Not the nutrition facts (which I read a while back), but all the words, and there were a lot of them.

The words that most stuck in my mind were the Words of Enlightenment. I didn't expect to agree with them, as "enlightenment" strikes me as rather "new age," which is definitely not my belief-system. But the Words of Enlightenment were "True Security is Peace." As I mulled these words over in my head, I realized that there were two ways to think about the statement: 1) True security causes peace; and 2) Peace causes true security. Hmmm.....

I am almost 100% sure that the writer of these words didn't have Jesus in mind at all when s/he wrote them, but I did. I experience the peace that surpasses understanding each and every day. The anxiety I regularly felt before returning to Christianity was sometimes overwhelming. There is none of that in my life anymore. Not that I'm never anxious about anything! But the prevailing waves of anxiety that I lived with are completely gone.

And security? True security? Psalm 46:1 is only one of numerous places in the Bible where we are reassured that "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble."  I cling to these truths, and I have experienced them personally and powerfully. My Lord and Savior are with me at all times, and I have a sure and certain place as a Child of God.

So, from a Christian point of view, security in the Lord creates a peace beyond all understanding. I am forever thankful for that security and that peace, both coming entirely and fully from God Almighty.

Next time you find Words of Enlightenment or a fortune cookie, take those words and look at them through the lens of the Bible. You may find the words are nonsense, but you may find a hidden jewel of Biblical wisdom to ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment