Monday, July 2, 2018

Wildfires

 We are physically surrounded by fires right now. Not close enough to be in danger, but close enough to bring smoke frequently. Close enough to close our favorite hiking trails and camping spots for a while. Close enough for me to be thinking about what I would take with us if we had to evacuate. Close enough that some of our normal travels for appointments are affected.

I grew up and lived in the Midwest most of my life. I remember standing in the driveway watching a tornado in the distance. I remember floods destroying my toys. I remember fighting floods in my basement as an adult. I remember "duck-and-tuck" in the boys' bathroom for hours with students of mine while tornadoes obliterated nine of the students' houses.

But fire. Oh, fire. It scares me. It's unfamiliar. It's so destructive. It lasts so long!

Yesterday, as I was walking in the morning, wary because of the smoke in the air and my asthma, I heard Sanctus Real's "On Fire."

The irony of the situation struck me. I started thinking about fire. And God. And the Bible.

So many references to fire in the Bible are from the fires of Hell. That's not what the song was about, though. The song was about being on fire for Christ. Having passion and love for our Lord and Savior. Asking God for that fire again, so that we spread God's Word everywhere we go.

And I thought about the fires around us. The crazy-burning, out-of-control Spring Fire with 5% containment and 50,000+ acres burned in less than a week. I know people with that kind of fire in their souls for Jesus. I love them! They call me to account when I approach a boundary of Christian behavior or thinking. They shout Jesus' love from the rooftops! They visit prisoners. They have radical faith. I love that!

Then there's the Burro Fire, 95% contained after burning only a week or two. It's still on fire, smoldering and flaring up occasionally. There's not much to look at there, but the fire sure isn't dead! I know people like that, too. They are the steady, solid volunteers who do the dishes, put away the chairs, and never do anything flashy. These people serve with no fanfare. They are the backbone of many churches, and I love that!


And the 416 Fire! Whoa. That one has challenged so many firefighters! At one point, there were more than 1,000 on the ground, plus air support. The firefighters have it 37% contained in incredibly rough terrain. This fire hasn't devoured one structure! It's burning in the wilderness, in steep and dry lands that leave no room for retreat for firefighters. This fire is the missionary spirit. It has so many obstacles to overcome, and in the eyes of some onlookers, it doesn't accomplish much. These Christians keep on doing God's work, even when it seems pointless. Even when not one person gains faith in Jesus Christ. Even when there seems no future, these people follow God's Call into the wilderness. They are strong in the Lord!

Which kind of fire are you? Are you one of the unnamed fires that was put out in the first day or two? Are you burning strong and slow? Wild and fast? In the wilderness?

No matter what kind of fire you are as a Christian, your fire is from the Holy Spirit. The Breath of God fans the flames, so read your Bible and receive His Breath. Fuel your fire!

Don't envy another for the fire of their faith. Follow God's Call on your life, whether that is flashy and loud or behind the scenes or in the wilderness.

No comments:

Post a Comment