Sunday, August 4, 2013

A Riot of Blessings

This morning I was walking along the river, enjoying the gorgeous wildflowers. The best way to describe that conglomeration of purple coneflowers, black-eyed susans, crown vetch and purple vetch, daisy flea-bane, leftover sweet william, and more is a riot of flowers.

When that thought crossed my mind, I had been contemplating the myriad blessings of my life. This song by Crystal Lewis was playing. And I thought, I am living in a riot of blessings!

All Christians are.

We live in the peace of God's blessings for His people. In the words of the song, we have:

Beauty for Ashes
Strength for Fear
Gladness for Mourning
Peace for Despair


Rest for the restless and the weary
Hope for the sinner
Hands that are mighty to deliver, giving us freedom.

These words come from the Newsboys' song, In the Hands of God.

And of course, the Bible itself gives us many promises of blessing for God's people. The most important is in John 2:25, "And this is the promise which he has promised us: eternal life." Psalm 119 is full of God's promises and human response to them; I find verse 133 especially powerful: "Keep steady my steps according to your promise, and let no iniquity get dominion over me."

Blessings everywhere! We have God's promises, which are sure and certain.

We live in a riot of blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment