Saturday, May 1, 2021

And.



Our society dictates that we are either supporters of the police OR of Black Lives Matter. We are either Christians-who-support-Trump OR not-really-Christians. We either support public education or the willful dismantling of public education. We either wholeheartedly support Critical Race Theory or we think it's the devil's work. We either revere the American flag or despise it.

Ugh. I hate this dichotomy. I'm an "AND" person. 

I mourn deeply with the families and friends of the slain officers in North Carolina. Their deaths, along with other law enforcement personnel. are tragic. They were doing their jobs and sacrificed their lives.

AND

I mourn deeply with the families and friends of Ma'Khia Bryant. Her death was a tragic loss as well. I believe that policing has deep roots in race and class that need to be examined. I don't hate every law enforcement officer who has to use their gun, but I do believe that we should urgently examine the disparities in how race, class, and culture are viewed and treated by law enforcement officers. I believe that we need to hold law enforcement accountable when they behave like Derek Chauvin. 

I am a Christian. I believe that Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior. 

AND

I believe that Jesus gave us clear "marching orders." We are to love God with all our being. And we are to love others as we love ourselves. I don't believe that we can say we are Christian and discount another's humanity or worth, whether that person agrees with us politically or not. Hate is not God's way. 

I believe that public education is essential to a democracy. I believe that an educated populace is vital to a democracy. If we pull the public money away from public education, we are setting up a tiered system that will not serve our society.

AND 

I believe that private education and home education are vital parts of society. I believe that parents who have the time, ability, and desire to homeschool or private school their children should be allowed to do so. I also believe that the public schools should be held accountable for educating children, not indoctrinating them. Belief systems belong to families; public schools should educate. I believe that local parents and the local public should have some control over what is taught. The federal government should mostly stay out of local education systems.

I think that the American flag is an important symbol of our country, and I love our country. I don't like to see the flag desecrated.

AND

I believe in the rights of every person in this country to express their thoughts and feelings. The Supreme Court upheld the right of people to desecrate the flag as a form of protected speech in 1989. I certainly think that if people are legally allowed to burn the flag, they are also allowed to "take a knee" during the raising of the flag and the singing of the national anthem. Our country is not, and has not been, a place where freedom reigns for all citizens. I cannot speak to Black people's experiences, but I can listen to them speak about their experiences. Through listening, I am convinced that even in 2021 many injustices exist. 

There are many more issues which create a false dichotomy in today's American society. I urge you to avoid the false dichotomy. I urge you to think critically and develop your opinions from information on "both sides." Where your beliefs end up is your business, but the unthinking opinion is not a helpful one. We are Americans, and we value individualism AND our collective society. We look for common ground, compromise, and practicality. We work with each other for the best of our democracy. Think for yourself and develop your own opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment