Saturday, January 23, 2016

Hanging On

It just took me 2 days to make a phone call... and 15 minutes to throw away a post-it note. The note had just this on it: "Weertz Funeral Home, Thursday 4-6." It also had the phone number of a local florist. I ordered flowers for my dear aunt's funeral visitation and funeral this coming week.

And it was hard.

Oh! So. Hard.

We're not the only ones suffering from this particular loss, nor is this loss the only one happening today. I have a friend who lost her brother this week, after losing both of her parents within the last year or so. There are many here on the reservation who grieve. Grieving seems universal.

And it's so very difficult.

This morning, in my tears, I asked the Lord to comfort my grieving heart. I turned to the Bible for a word about grief. 1 Thessalonians 4:13-16 came up when I searched for "grief." These words from those verses bring me relief: For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep. And the dead in Christ will rise first.

My aunt knew her Lord and Savior. She was a living example of faithfulness. I know she was received into the arms of Jesus when she closed her eyes. This promise in Thessalonians reminded me that she is God's first, not mine. And that she will be raised with the saints when Jesus comes back.

Hallelujah!

I am still sad saying good-bye to my aunt, ordering funeral flowers, and throwing away a post-it note. Canceling the phone line we've carried for her for several years brought me to tears again, but I know she is with our Lord.

And that is comfort indeed.

Peace, comfort, blessings, and sure knowledge of our Savior is what I pray for each person grieving.

No comments:

Post a Comment