Saturday, June 22, 2013

What God Has Done For Me

Luke 8:39 is part of the daily scripture from the RCA Facebook page today. It is the story of the legion of demons whom Jesus removed from a man and sent into a herd of swine. The herd then rushed down a hill into a lake and drowned. The healed and redeemed man then wanted to stay with Jesus, but Jesus told him instead to "Return to your home, and declare how much God has done for you."

 In the Great Commission (Matthew 28:19-20), Jesus says, "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age."



For many Christians, this is uncomfortable stuff, myself included. Go home and declare how much God has done for me? Really? To my closest friends and family? What will they think? Make disciples of all nations? Teach them to observe all that I have commanded you? What right do I have to change other nations?

But look at the last part of the Great Commission... "And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age." I don't have to do this alone. This is God's work! If I take a step in faith, God will provide the words, the works, the everything to make the changes... including the necessary changes in me.

So now I need to think: What is it that God has done for me that I am supposed to declare? What evidence is there that God has been active in my life?

My cup runneth over...

I am filled with a peace which can only come from God.

I am growing in fruits of the spirit: patience, wisdom, kindness... and this is not me! I feel just as impatient, impulsive, and snarky as ever...until I pray for God's grace. Then I am flooded with patience and insight.

I have many broken relationships in my life, but the relationships I am building and keeping at this point are whole, healthy, and God-centered.

And, of course, I am assured of God's saving Grace through Jesus Christ. I am forgiven.

My desire to serve God grows and my closeness to Him increases as my days go by. I am blessed in so very many ways.

How are you blessed? What do you have to declare?

No comments:

Post a Comment