Monday, August 13, 2012

A Glimpse of Glory

I have been limited in many ways since I broke my elbow a month ago. I began walking again last week, and it's been lovely to be outside again. Today I had a great opportunity to take a long walk while our wee one was in an Arts Camp in a neighboring town. I didn't know my way around, so I asked the leader of the Arts Camp where to walk (and to tie my shoes, please!). She sent me to a lovely, quiet, secluded path through a wood along a river.

Ahhhhh..................

Now, I didn't take my camera, so these pictures are actually from Scotland and England, from our vacation. But they convey the same feelings of solitude and beauty that I experienced today. I have missed this. As I walked, I drank in the babbling of the small river, the low hoots of a great blue heron, and the whistling call of an unknown bird. I relaxed... and realized that this quiet beauty and peace is a glimpse of the glory of God.

And what beauty it is! I came across at least 10 turkeys as they milled around the path. I heard a deer in the woods, just off the path. And the sun shone through the leaves, something like the ferns above (in Scotland). The wildflowers were shining, wet with dew. It took my breath away.

And this is just a glimpse of the glory of God! How brightly is the son going to shine then!? How lovely will the forest be? If this earthly beauty takes my breath away, how much wonder will I hold when I see God? It's exciting to imagine!


No comments:

Post a Comment