Thursday, May 17, 2012

Waiting

Sometimes I feel like all I am doing in this phase of my life is waiting. My husband graduated from seminary almost a year ago, and we have been waiting (I hope faithfully!) for a church call ever since. As this year has gone by, he has communicated with many churches about their search process, had several interviews (including a second interview with one church), continued his theological reading and writing, and sought opportunities to preach. He has continued to prepare himself for ministry.

During that year, I have taken a leave of absence in preparation for leaving our city, resigned my job entirely in anticipation of relocating, begun my stained glass business (and blog!), homeschooled our five-year-old daughter, and researched communities as Brad has had interviews with churches.

As a family, we even sold our home and moved into a rental home in expectation of moving into a parsonage somewhere. Somewhere. Anywhere? Please??!!

And so we wait.

And wait.

And wait.

Today I looked for inspiration on why we're waiting in my favorite book: The Bible. And I was surprised to find myself on a completely different track about waiting. In Titus 2:11-13 (ESV), it says, "For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ."

We're not waiting for a church call, we're waiting for Jesus Christ! We so sincerely want to be used by God in His kingdom work that I sometimes lose sight of the Real picture. We are called to live as witnesses to God's way here and now, wherever and whenever it is. Even if it's simply waiting.

And even better, the grace of God has already appeared! I don't have to wait with endurance, I get to wait in the grace of God. He will provide the patience that I so clearly lack at times. He will enable us to grow and develop as Christians in this present age. This is not a waste of time before our service begins; this is apparently the place and time of our service for this present age.

Hopefully and prayerfully, I can wait with this attitude instead of my typical impatience. I invite you to join my prayers for patience and a call for our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment