Sunday, April 12, 2015

Courage

I have, at times, been discouraged. I have, at times, been encouraged. I have certainly encouraged others here in Dulce and elsewhere. I have even discouraged people from particular choices...

and I'm wondering what it is called when a person is neither encouraged nor discouraged. That's kind of where I am today. I'm not feeling down, but there isn't anything really exciting on the horizon either. I'm just sailing along.

The root word courage floated through my head, followed by a quick, "Nah. Courage is something brave and difficult... it doesn't take courage to float along in my life."

But I think I'm wrong about that. It does take courage to keep on going. When there is little reward and little to fight against... it does take courage to stay focused on God's work, God's kingdom, God's will.

For example, our AWANA youth ministry, which began in October 2014, is limping through the final quarter of the year. We have had inconsistent adult volunteers and dwindling numbers of children. A week or so ago, the only children present were the children/grandchildren of the adult volunteers. It would've been easy to send everyone home!

But we didn't. We met as a leader group and made some decisions about how to increase involvement again. Then the handful of children played games together, not divided by age groups. Then their faithful teachers took them to classrooms where there were often more adults than kids and taught them God's Word.

It would be easy to get discouraged by poor attendance or lack of follow-through in whatever ministry we deem "ours," but God calls us to serve, no matter how small or seemingly insignificant.  That takes courage. Real courage.

SonRise $60.00 plus tax and shipping

No comments:

Post a Comment