Sunday, March 25, 2012

Moving Day

Me, in front of the door to my new studio

 For those of you who don't know, my family is moving. I have moved many times in my life, so the process is familiar, but this move is different in many ways.

 First, contrary to what most people do, we have sold our lovely, suburban home to move into a much older (built in 1890!) rental home. Some of our friends and family think we're a bit looney for doing so. We truly have had a gorgeous home in a quiet neighborhood with wonderful neighbors. My husband has lived here for 19 years, and I have lived here for the past 4 1/2 years, since our marriage.

Second, we are only moving 2 miles away, so it's not like we're relocating for new jobs or anything. I will continue as a homeschooling mom and stained glass artist, and my husband will continue working at the Mayo Clinic.

Our daughter, checking out the barn next to the studio
So what is our plan? Why are we moving? Why am I leaving a world-class glass studio in my home for a somewhat makeshift studio in an outbuilding on an old farmstead within the city limits?

Because God has called us. Specifically, He has called my husband to the ministry. Before we even met, my husband began a distance program to obtain his Master of Divinity. He has spent most of the past six years as a theology student, and has spent the last few months actively searching for a church call.

And we wait.

We have prayed that we can be faithful and patient while we wait. We have done lots of things to facilitate the anticipated change in career, including my resigning my teaching job. 

A few months ago, we decided that we should put our house on the market because it might take a while to sell it. We had a good back-up plan (renting the farmstead). In November, after much clearing out and cleaning up, we put the house on the market... and almost nobody came to see it! We had an opportunity to take it off the market for the holiday season, so we did.

In February, we listed it again and it sold in five days. Good thing we had our back-up plan! I started packing in earnest and tried to figure out how I could do my glass work without my studio. It turns out that the farmstead has an outbuilding that is finished inside, with upgraded electric service. Perfect for my studio!

So, I've moved about 500 pounds of glass, myriad glass tools, a ton (seemingly, anyway!) of lead came, and my cupboards and counters into a non-heated, non-air-conditioned, somewhat musty, but usable space. I have one more load of materials to transport, and then I have to get things set up again so I can work. Maybe this week!

And our family waits to move the household goods until April 9th, when the renovations on the bathroom and flooring in the farmhouse will be done (hopefully, anyway!). Living between two places is a small challenge, and we are looking forward to playing in the 4+ acres of lawn, field, and trees this summer.

But most of all, we wait for God's call to come. Sometimes impatiently (me, at least). And we trust that He will continue to grow us in faith and service while we wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment